Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

After I graduate, when should I start getting Continuing Education (CEs)?

Not until after your biennium begins, meaning the first day after your next birthday. Technologists who have recently passed their first ARRT certification exam will begin the mandatory CE requirements on the first day of their next birth month after the examination.

When can I take another registry (mammography, CT, MRI, etc)?

Not until you have met the requirements established by the ARRT. These requirements can be seen on . Also, technologists have to wait one full year to take another registry after passing the radiography registry.

What is the difference between being registered and certified?

Certification is the initial passing of the ARRT boards.  Everyone who takes the registry and passes is certified. The registry is the annual renewal procedure of acquiring CE, complying with ARRT rules and regulations, and complying with ARRT standards of ethics.

What type of criminal offenses must you report with annual renewals?

Both misdemeanor and felony convictions need to be reported with renewal of registration each year, along with convictions or charges resulting in a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, a military court martial, withheld or deferred adjudication, or a suspended stay of sentence.

What if I let my ARRT registration expire?

If it is longer than five years after the CE probation ending date, an individual can only become re-qualified by re-satisfying all education, ethics, and examination eligibility requirements.  (meaning you have to go back to school).

What if I take the ARRT boards three times and fail?

You have one more chance to take the registry with certain requirements: 40 hours of independent study, 20 hours of study with an ARRT-certified technologist, or 10 hours of study time with an Educator from an accredited educational program. If the individual fails the fourth time, they are no longer eligible and may regain eligibility only by repeating the Professional Education Requirements (going back to school).

What is IEMA?

IEMA stands for Illinois Emergency Management Agency. This agency provides licensure for the state of Illinois. Anyone taking x-rays in the state has to be licensed. You can go to to find the application for the state license.

Do all states require licensure?

No, there are 15 states that require no licensure so anyone in those states can take an x-ray and not have any formal training in radiation protection, techniques, and positioning.

What credentials should I use after I pass the radiology registry?

Your name, R.T.(R) This stands for registered technologist in radiography.  If you become registered in another modality, you may have the following:

(N) for nuclear medicine, (T) for radiation therapy, (S) for sonography, (MR) for magnetic resonance imaging, (M) for mammography, (CT) for computed tomography, (QM) for quality management, (BD) for bone density, (CI) for cardiac-interventional radiography, (VI) for vascular-interventional radiography, (CV) for cardiovascular-interventional radiography, (VS) for vascular sonography, and (BS) for breast sonography.

ISSRT, ASRT, ARRT, IEMA—what do these abbreviations mean and which agencies are required for an Illinois radiologic technologist?

IEMA and ARRT are required if you are employed in Illinois.

IEMA is the Illinois Emergency Management Agency. If you want to work as a radiologic technologist in the state of Illinois, you need Illinois accreditation. You will need 24 hours of continuing education every two years as part of the requirements of IEMA. You renew every year with IEMA. IEMA is the state agency responsible for protecting Illinois residents from the potentially harmful effects of ionizing radiation. IEMA also inspects all the x-ray, therapy, nuclear medicine, mammography, and dental x-ray equipment in the state.

ARRT is the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists. If you pass the Registry exam, you are a registered radiologic technologist. Annually, you need to renew your credential. 24 hours of continuing education every two years is a requirement of the ARRT.

ISSRT and ASRT are not required if you are employed in Illinois. However, being a member of these organizations will give you many benefits. These organizations will provide continuing education opportunities, help you to network with other technologists, give leadership opportunities, and help to advance our profession through legislative monitoring and reporting and other means.

ASRT is the American Society of Radiologic Technologists. This is a national association. Visit for more information.

ISSRT is the Illinois State Society of Radiologic Technologist. This is the state association that is affiliated with the national association, ASRT.